They’re back! The Department of Defence and the SA National Defence Force are once again partnering with the Rand Show, promising visitors hours of interactive entertainment with extensive exhibitions and action-filled shows and demonstrations.
As Rand Show visitors have come to anticipate, there’ll be thunderous capability displays in the Main Arena over the Easter weekend (14-17 April 2017), with enough big bangs, simulated battles and roaring engines to thrill the whole family.
The four arms of the SANDF are also coming together once again to put on a massive joint exhibition of military equipment covering over 10 000 sqm, complete with a massive lookout bridge from which to view the exhibition from on high, plus the Rooivalk and Oryx, a dive tank, and so much more.
Here is an equipment list of what visitors can see in this impressive display.
SANDF Career Village
South African Air Force
- Buffalo Supreme Fire Truck
- Umlindi Antenna
- Survival equipment
- Armament Section
- DMS Machine Shop
- DMS Aircraft Structure Section
- Impala simulator
- Aviation awareness
- Visual flying
- Young Falcons programme
- Dive tank
- Riverine patrol boat
- Boarding boat
- Sanad display consisting of a torpedo, 40/60 Bofors gun, Umkhonto missile, 3-pounder gun, twin 12,7mm Double gun and mount,
- Mine countermeasure displays
- Seamanship display
- Hydrography display
SA Army Infantry Formation
- Puppies used in training and on the border
- A Ratel and its weapon system
- Casspir and all platoon weapons
SA Army Support Formation
- Rooikat Mk 1D
- Mk2 tank and tank transporter
- Ratel ZT3
- Olifant Mk 1 A (engine only)
SA Army Artillery Formation
- 155 mm GVS gun
- 120 mm M5 mortar
- Fire Control Post Equipment
SA Army ADA
- 35 mm MK V ADA gun
- Thutlwa radar system
- LPD 20 radar system
- 23 mm Bosvark anti-aircraft gun
SA Army Armour Formation
- Tank transporter with Olifant MK II MBT
- Ratel ZT3 – A
- Rooikat Armour Car
SA Army Engineer Formation
- Operation construction with wheel dozer (Pantile Construction Machine)
- Diesel bunker
- Front-end loader
- Mobile workshops
- Skit Skeer
- Combat Engineers with equipment and medium girder bridge.
- Mine Warfare
- Folding Foldable Bridge System
- Ten-man boats.
SA Army Intelligence Formation
- Tactical Intelligence Control Point System
- Support and Transportation Shelter
- Intelligence Management System
- Advance surveillance products
- Basic surveillance system
- Operational, tactical and counter-intelligence products
- Load-bearing equipment
2 Signal Regiment
- Communication trailer
- Trailer-mounted generator DACT 50/3 AMF
7 Signal Group
- C42 Set (PSU and base set) B27 radios
- A53/B56, A39, A39 MK2, M radio sets
- Diorama battlefield miniatures
- Field hospital
- Mfezi ambulance
- Wahoo boat
- Hurricane boat
- Inflatable boat
- Sea survival
- Land survival
- Urban equipment
There’s so much to see and do with the SANDF, you’ll have to make sure you leave enough time to sample other great activities on the Rand Show’s lineup of top-class entertainment. South Africa’s biggest consumer expo is the only show to offer attractions covering everything from sport, motoring and military, to design, animals, gardening, health and beauty … there’s an entire day out for the whole family packed into each Rand Show ticket.
Visit www.randshow.co.za to find out about what’s on this year at the Rand Show.
WHEN, WHERE, HOW MUCH?
The Rand Show runs from Friday, 14 April to Sunday, 23 April 2017, from 9 am to 7 pm (last entry at 6 pm), at the Johannesburg Expo Centre, Nasrec (GPS – S26°14.484’ E27°58.510). There is ample secure paid parking at the venue, with visible policing.
Rand Show tickets at the gate cost R150 for adults, R50 for pensioners, R50 for 13-16 years, R20 for 6-12 years, and under six enter free. Midweek specials for Tuesday 18, Wednesday 19 and Thursday 20 April only are R75 for adults, and R20 for 13-16-year-olds. Open-air parking is R20 per car. Tickets are available at the gate or through Computicket. Tickets give access to a wide variety of entertainment attractions, but exclude rides on the helicopter and monorail, drifting, bag jumping, the fun fair, and refreshments and food.